top of page


By: Brittany Dolan

Times can be tough when going through a divorce and when your spouse does not cooperate it can make things even tougher. As your attorney there is nothing we can do to force your spouse to pay child support and/or maintenance. An oral or written promise by your spouse to pay you an amount of money is not a binding contract. In order to enforce said agreement there needs to be a stipulation drafted and So Ordered by a judge. Once a judge signs off on your agreement there is now binding language to hold your spouse accountable.

If you have an order of the court mandating your spouse to contribute a certain amount of money to you and they do not follow through, we can now make a motion to hold them in contempt of court. This means they disobeyed a court order, and the court will hold them accountable as to their obligations. It is key in your divorce case to have agreements/stipulations drafted on any agreed to terms so it can become an order of the court. Once you have that order your attorney here at Capetola & Divins, P.C. will be able to help you get what you deserve.

17 views0 comments


bottom of page