top of page

We’re not married but have a house together….what do we do?

If you chose to buy a house with your partner prior to taking the leap into a marriage you are not alone. There is a proceeding called a partition action that can help you deal with a property in two individuals names who are no longer together. You can bring on a partition action in your local supreme court in which the court will first request certain documents from you, such as your deed or mortgage documents. The court can then order the sale of your house if one of the parties is not in agreement with how to move forward. This is an option when the parties are not married and are not in agreement with how to move forward regarding the joint property.

24 views0 comments


bottom of page