top of page

My child’s father is not contributing to any of my child’s expenses- what can I do?

In New York, if your significant other is not contributing to the expenses of the child you both have in common, then you may file a child support petition with the Family Court. A child support petition is a legal document filed by a parent seeking financial support from the other parent to help provide for the needs of a child. The petition typically asks the court to order the non-custodial parent to pay a specific amount of money each month to help cover the child's expenses, such as food, clothing, housing, education, and medical care.

To file a child support petition in New York, you typically need to provide information about your child, including their name, date of birth, and social security number, as well as information about both parents, including their names, addresses, and income. You may also need to provide documentation such as pay stubs, tax returns, or other financial records to support your request for child support.

Once the petition is filed, the court will review the information provided and may schedule a hearing to determine the appropriate amount of child support. The court will consider various factors, including the income of both parents, the child's needs, and any special circumstances that may impact the child's financial support. If the court determines that the non-custodial parent is responsible for paying child support, they will issue an order specifying the amount of support to be paid each month.

It is important to note that child support orders can be modified if there are significant changes in circumstances, such as a change in income or the child's needs.

13 views0 comments


bottom of page