top of page

My spouse unilaterally stopped paying child support- what can I do?

If your spouse has stopped paying child support in New York, there are several steps you can take to enforce the child support order:

1. Contact the local child support enforcement agency: In New York, you can contact the Child Support Enforcement Unit (CSEU) in your county.

2. File a violation petition with the court: If your spouse is not complying with the child support order, you can file a violation petition with the court. The petition should include details about the unpaid child support and the amount owed. The court may hold a hearing to determine the reason for the non-payment and to enforce the order.

3. File a petition for contempt: If your spouse is willfully refusing to pay child support, you can file a petition for contempt with the court. This petition asks the court to find your spouse in contempt of court for failing to comply with the child support order. If the court finds your spouse in contempt, they may face fines, penalties, or even jail time.

4. Garnish wages or bank accounts: In some cases, you can request that the court garnish your spouse's wages or bank accounts to collect unpaid child support.

It's important to work with experienced attorneys, such as the ones at Capetola & Divins, P.C., who can help you understand your legal rights and options when it comes to enforcing a child support order in New York.

15 views0 comments


bottom of page